If you get gap cover for hospital plan in addition to a Medical Aid Hospital Plan, you will never have to pay for your medical expenses yourself.
That includes any extra payments that a specialist may charge.
Gap cover for Hospital plan – There is Always a Shortfall
Avoid those extra costs that a hospital plan does not cover, get gap cover for hospital extras. You will save yourself a lot of money in the future. Here are some other things to remember when you only have a hospital plan.
Disadvantages of just having a hospital plan:
- With a hospital plan, there is a chance you will still have additional expenses, if you also have gap insurance, it will pay for these shortfalls, not you.
- Hospital plans state that they cover 100% of a hospital stay. This means they pay 100% of expenses as per their agreed tariff with the hospital. Any shortfall that exists, you will have to pay.
- If members choose to use a non-network service provider, there can be extra costs. It is possible that some Gap Insurance policies may cover this.
- They often require co-payments regarding the hospital plan.
- Some plans, especially cheaper options, can cap the hospital bills annually.
What is Gap Insurance?
- Medical Gap Insurance is a short-term insurance policy.
- Applicants must be a member of a medical aid scheme to have gap cover.
- Gap insurance is for when there are shortfalls from medical claims.
- Specialists and doctors are not obliged to use standard rates and will often charge much more than the amount a hospital plan will allow. They can charge up to 3 times the rate.
- Medical aid firms require upfront co-payments for some medical procedures carried out in hospitals. Gap insurance will pay this.
- Hospital excess benefits are included in some Gap policies. This will normally settle the amount that requires payment to a hospital once reaching the cap of a Hospital Plan.
- Many healthcare plans are capping Cancer payments as these are becoming a significant drain on funds available. Some Gap policies offer a Cancer Sub-Limit within the policy.
Advantages of Gap cover For hospital Plan
- Very reasonable rates. Cheap Monthly premiums which can be as little as R150 a month.
- Covers shortfalls from both hospital rates and specialist fees.
- One policy will cover the whole family as long as all the dependents are on the member’s medical aid.
- Peace of mind knowing that the policyholder can always provide the best hospital care for both them and their families.
Fill in and submit the form on this page to get your one FREE gap cover quote
All info was correct at time of publishing